RTA Guide/120 Star
The goal of 120 star is collect every star and beat the game.
There are no gameplay restrictions. All forms of BLJ are allowed. Timing starts from power on and ends when the big star is collected at the end of the game.
This guide is made for players with at least some sort of knowledge about the game’s mechanics. If you have just started running this game, I recommend watching both of Simply’s movement tutorials and Sean Raider's movement guide. It is also generally recommended to learn 70 star before 120 since almost everything you learn will carry over to 120 star and with the shorter stars out of the way you can focus solely on the longer 120 star specific stars.
There are many routes for 120 star involving different stage order and castle movement. The route used in this guide is the most commonly used non-lblj route which gets to basement as early as possible as it is one of the hardest parts of the run. Once you have learned all the stars separately, you will be able to adapt to other routes fairly easily.
These star routes are just a few examples of RTA strategies, they are not single star records. For a demonstration of completely optimized RTA strats, check out the 120 star ideal run.
Timing starts on reset. Press START to get past the first screen, and time START + A to select the top left file. Then an intro will show. Clear the text boxes in the end by timing A + B right as described in the movement guide. Then, you can move Mario and enter the castle using the Lakitu Skip. Enter the left door in the castle lobby and enter BOB.
- Star 1: Bomb Clip
- Stars 2-8: Guide for all WF stars
The Secret Aquarium
- Star 9: Aquarium
Jolly Roger Bay
- Stars 10-16: Guide for all JRB stars
1st Bowser Stage
- Star 20: Bowser in the Dark World
- Bowser Fight 1: -
- Star 21: King Bob-Omb
- Star 22: Koopa Race
- Star 23-24: 100c & Red Coins
- Star 25: Sky Jump
- Star 26: Secrets
- Star 27: 1st Mips
Shifting Sand Land
- Star 28-34: Guide for all SSL stars
Hazy Maze Cave
- Stars 35-42: Guide for all HMC stars
- Star 43: HMC Toad
Lethal Lava Land
- Stars 44-50: Guide for all LLL stars
We collect the 50th star in LLL so we get a textbox once we're done with the stage. That makes the camera for the MIPS grab much easier.
- Star 51: 2nd Mips
Vanish Cap Under the Moat
- Star 52: Vanish Cap Stage
Cool Cool Mountain
- Stars 53-59: Guide for all CCM stars
Big Boo's Haunt
- Stars 60-66: Guide for all BBH stars
Dire, Dire Docks Part 1
2nd Bowser Stage
- Star 71: Bowser in the Fire Sea Reds
- Bowser Fight 2: -
Dire, Dire Docks Part 2
Reenter Fire Sea and Exit Stage.
Wet Dry World
- Stars 75-81: Guide for all WDW stars
Tiny Huge Island
- Stars 82-88: Guide for all THI stars
- Star 89: Upstairs Toad
Tall, Tall Mountain
- Stars 90-96: Guide for all TTM stars
- Stars 97-103: Guide for all SL stars
Wing Mario Over the Rainbow
- Star 104: Cloud Stage
Tick Tock Clock
- Stars 105-111: Guide for all TTC stars
- Star 112: Tippy Toad
- Stars 113-119: Guide for all RR stars
3rd Bowser Stage
- Star 120: Bowser in the Sky Red Coins
Bowser Fight 3: -