RTA Guide/70 Star
It is recommended that regardless of your skill level that you do some variation of the HMC late route for your PB attempts. The "HMC late" routes are based around getting the second MIPS star and doing HMC on your second trip to the basement. The HMC Early routes refer to any route which does HMC on the first (and only) trip to the basement and does not get the second MIPS star.
- Beginner - HMC Late (CCM 18) without TTC 100c
- Intermediate - HMC Late (CCM 18)
- The de facto standard route, most similar to 120 star.
- Advanced - HMC Late (CCM 17)
- Does pillarless twice, does 100c with slide instead of penguin race in CCM.
- Can also opt to do "island hop" to skip backtracking to BOB with wingcap.
Standard Route (CCM 18)
- Lakitu Skip
- Bob-omb Battlefield
- 1st Slide
- Whomp's Fortress (every star)
- Castle Stars
- Bowser in the Dark World (Reds)
- Bob-omb Battlefield
- Cool Cool Mountain
- Big Boo's Haunt
- Shifting Sand Land
- Lethal Lava Land
- Dire Dire Docks
- Bowser in the Fire Sea (Reds)
- Wet Dry World
- Tiny Huge Island
- Upstairs Toad (near TTM)
- Tall Tall Mountain
- Snowman's Land
- Go to HMC after MIPS, and get the Toad star before entering HMC
- HMC Toad
- Hazy Maze Cave
- Rainbow Ride
- Tippy Toad (near TTC)
- Tick Tock Clock (every star)
- Bowser in the Sky (No Reds)
Advanced (CCM 17)
In CCM, rather than doing 100 coin with the penguin race, do Slip Slidin' Away + 100 Coins. Then replace the penguin race star with Pyramid Puzzle . This way you'll have 30 stars when finishing LLL, which allows you to enter DDD past the 30 star door. Additionally, one can opt for Island Hop to skip visiting BOB twice.
The HMC Early routes do not make a second trip to basement in order to get the second MIPS star and consequently they do HMC on the first (and only) trip to the basement. Optimally, these routes are comparable to the standard HMC late route, however they are generally considered harder to optimize. They may be preferable in some situations since they allow more flexibility in routing since you are not bound as tightly to the 30 star door requirement before DDD.
Differences from HMC Late
The differences between this route and the standard HMC Late route are as follows:
- After LLL go directly to HMC. Get all of the HMC stars, then HMC toad, and then proceed to DDD as normal.
- In SL, you'll have to get Shell Shreddin' for Red Coins to replace MIPS2. Once finished with SL, go to tippy as normal instead of exiting course.
The route above is the most common HMC early route, but a few modifications can be made to make the route faster and/or more consistent.
Replacing CCM 100c
Since meeting the 30 star door requirement is not an issue with HMC Early, you are allowed more flexibility in early game routing. Most commonly, people will replace Big Penguin Race + 100 Coins and Slip Slidin' Away with Slip Slidin' Away + 100 Coins and one alternative star. Also, since SL Reds is already replacing MIPS 2, if you decide to skip TTC 100c you will need to add in another alternative star.
General Route Variations
The following route variations apply to both the HMC early and HMC late routes.
- Easy: Shell Shreddin' for Red Coins
- Easy: Toxic Maze without BLJ
- Intermediate: Wiggler's Red Coins
- Hard: Pyramid Puzzle
Note: if you do HMC Early, SL Reds is already in the route and you will have to choose one of the other stars to replace TTC 100c.
Rather than doing Shoot to the Island in the Sky after Dark World Reds, you can save time by getting this star without the wingcap in the first split by doing Island Hop. This saves approximately 5-6 seconds in castle movement as you only have to enter Bob-omb Battlefield once.