cylinder with radius of 400 and height of 400, offset down 0 units
|Damage without hat||3|
Bowser is the main antagonist of Super Mario 64. Mario fights Bowser at the end of each Bowser stage in a circular arena surrounded by five bombs. Mario must throw Bowser into these bombs to defeat him. Bowser's moves and HP change after each fight.
Mario can grab Bowser's tail with a special action called Picking Up Bowser. This action can be entered by diving into Bowser or by pressing B when having been near his tail and not having been too far from him since then, and can be done even if the A button is held. Mario then enters Holding Bowser when swinging him and finally Releasing Bowser when throwing him. Bowser is a special type of grab called a rotational grab, separate from light grab and heavy grab. He updates the HOLP, but appears in front of Mario rather than at the HOLP when released.
First Fight (Bowser in the Dark World)
In Bowser in the Dark World, Bowser has an initial HP stat of 1.
- Dance: Bowser can dance. This stops him from moving or turning for the duration of an animation. There is a 10% chance for him to dance at the start of the fight.
- Breathe fire: Bowser breathes fire in front of him, spawning many flames on the ground in certain patterns. As the fire despawns, a few coins appear.
- Leap: Bowser does a short leap towards Mario, causing Mario to be stunned for a moment if he is on the ground when Bowser lands.
- Recover: If Bowser is thrown off the stage, he will jump back onto the stage, stunning Mario if he is on the ground when Bowser lands.
Second Fight (Bowser in the Fire Sea)
In Bowser in the Fire Sea, Bowser has an initial HP stat of 1.
- Jump: Bowser jumps high into the air, causing the entire stage to tilt when he lands. He stands completely still after landing and is immune to being grabbed until the tilting animation ends. He will always do this move at the start of the fight.
- Fireball: Bowser shoots a single flame that follows Mario.
- Teleport: Bowser briefly turns invisible and teleports near Mario.
- Dash: Bowser dashes towards Mario, typically when Mario is far from Bowser. If he passes Mario, he will slide to a stop. If he hits the edge of the map, he'll halt in place for a few seconds, giving Mario a chance to grab him.
- Recover: If Bowser is thrown off the stage, he will jump back onto the stage, causing the entire stage to tilt similarly to when he performs his jump attack.
Third Fight (Bowser in the Sky)
In Bowser in the Sky, Bowser has an initial HP stat of 3.
- Fireball: Bowser shoots a single fire that follows Mario.
- Breathe fire: Bowser breathes fire into the air, which rains down onto the stage. Fire is spawned all around, including two blue flames which each split into 3 moving blue flames, one of which will move towards where Mario was when the fire landed. As the fire despawns, a few coins appear.
- Jump: Bowser jumps high into the air, creating shockwaves on the ground when he lands.
- Dash: Bowser dashes towards Mario, similarly to the Bowser 2 fight.
- Dance: When Bowser has 1 HP remaining, he will dance, causing large chunks of the stage to fall away. Afterwards, the stage will be much smaller and in the shape of a star.
- Recover: If Bowser is thrown off the stage, he will jump back onto the stage. If he lands on a part of the stage that can fall from his dance attack, it will fall and he will jump forward again. When he lands on a part of the stage that cannot fall, he creates a shockwave.