|Individual stars collectible||119|
|Overall stars collectible||119|
The Capless/Cannonless Challenge is a challenge that attempts to collect as many Power Stars as possible in Super Mario 64 without the use of caps or cannons (the only exception being Mario's Normal Cap). Also the use of cap effects gained when entering a course are allowed.
Every Star in Super Mario 64 except Wing Mario over the Rainbow Red Coins is possible to obtain with these limitations. Some, however, require some non-trivial workarounds:
- BoB - Shoot to the Island in the Sky: Going to the island can be done by long jumping from the top of the mountain.
- WF - Blast Away the Wall: A precise ledge grab at the brick wall makes Mario clip into the wall slightly, allowing Mario to collect the star. This trick is known as "Cannonless" and is commonly used in RTA speedruns.
- JRB - Blast to the Stone Pillar: The platform where the star is can be reached by precisely long jumping off the ship. You can also use a trick called Frame Walking to jump from one of the pillars.
- JRB and DDD - Through the Jet Stream: Mario can overcome the jet stream(s) by swimming efficiently, negating the need for the metal cap.
- HMC - Metal-Head Mario Can Move!: Mario can press the purple ! switch by falling onto it with enough vertical speed downwards instead of using the metal cap to walk underwater.
- WDW - Quick Race Through Downtown!: The RTA viable method is to clone the star while holding a Chuckya. In a TAS run, Mario can perform a BLJ to build enough speed to clip into the cage.
- DDD - Collect the Caps...: Mario is able to simply clone the star through the loading zone by bringing a water shell out of the water. This cloning process is similar to the one used in Quick Race through Downtown. (Note: Unconfirmed RTA possible)
There are also 4 TAS only workarounds:
- BoB - Mario Wings to the Sky: You can use Triple Jumps with Backwards Long Jumps to gain enough speed and height to make it to all the secrets Capless/Cannonless.
- BBH - Eye to Eye in the Secret Room: Mario can clip into the secret room with Hyper Speed Wall Kicks until Mario reaches 400 speed, the minimum speed required to clip through a wall straight on.
- SL - Into the Igloo: Mario can perform a Low Ceiling BLJ to build speed at the entrance and navigate into the wall of the room leading to the star compartment.
- RR - Somewhere Over the Rainbow: Mario can perform a BLJ using the carpet once it takes him to the top of the house, launching him towards the floating island. A BLJ can also be done on the elevator to achieve PU speed so that PU movement can be used to reach the star. (This is what is used in the TAS WR.)