Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round
- For a tutorial on speedrunning this star, see the RTA Guide
|Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round|
|Course||Big Boo's Haunt|
Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round is the 2nd star of Big Boo's Haunt.
Version 2 must be used for boos to show up in the merry-go-round.
A Button Challenge
- Video: https://youtu.be/6q6e03g2Ic8
It is possible to get this star with 0 A presses.
The biggest obstacle is finding a way to reach the star since it is 357 units above the floor. After many ideas trying to go out of bounds to utilize VSC failed, Pannenkoek eventually found a method to use a scuttlebug's bounce to reach the star.
To execute this strategy, Mario first needs to lure a scuttlebug outside the mansion to a specific location via Scuttlebug transportation, and then raise it for many hours (3 hours or 10 hours depending on which method is used). This will place a scuttlebug in a vertical PU (VPU 1). Then, Mario will go outside to perform a specific maneuver to lure the scuttlebug to the specified location as it is falling through floors and ceilings, ending up above a floor in the merry-go-round by snapping it to a wall nearby via scuttlebug wall snapping. The movement is very precise as to not prematurely let it interact with the wrong wall in the VPU and snap into the wrong location.
Once the scuttlebug is in place, Mario enters the merry-go-round room, beating up boos and proceeding the level as normal, and finishes up by bouncing on the scuttlebug to reach the star.
This is single-star times. In 120 star, this star is combined with 100 coins.
|Date||Time||Improvement (Frames)||Improvement Author(s)||Save Description/Notes|
|Dec 20, 2009||35.47||Sonicpacker|
|Mar 5, 2020||35.27||6||Nim|
- "Star Heights" by UncommentatedPannen
- "BBH Merry-Go-Round 0x Faster Strat" by UncommentatedPannen (Video explaining the two strategies of raising a scuttlebug)
- "Super Mario 64 - Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round - 35"46 (TAS)" by SPsm64TAS
- "(TAS) SM64: Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round in 35.27s" by Hello, my name is nim