The Same Input Challenge's goal is collecting as many different stars from a single set of inputs as possible, while only varying the savestate for the TAS. The challenge was originally created by Sidney and inspired by this TAS that completed 4 2D Mario games with the same input file, with the goal of "making a .m64 that can collect two completely different stars with the same .m64, but different .st." The current world record collects six stars, all in Bob-omb Battlefield, completed by Conor McMahon.
- Must start from star select (if the level has one), pause exit (if a castle star), or on the first frame of level.
- No leaving a level (including Bowser death)
- In level warps are fine, as long as they do not exit the course (No DDD exit, Bowser death, TotWC death, etc.)
- Only one star per save state, 100 coin stars/castle stars must be collected separately
- Save states must be achievable without the use of hacks (No impossible RNG, impossible HOLP, etc.)
- Stars must be yellow when collected
- May not press the start button