|Action Flags||Air, Allow Vertical Wind Action|
A side flip is a "jump" that is caused when the A button is pressed during the turning around action or the finish turning around action. It gives Mario up to 512 units of vertical distance, equally as high as a backflip. Unlike a backflip, Mario can ledge grab from a side flip.
Conditions for Action to Occur
Mario only has to meet two condition to enter this action.
- Mario is either in turning around action or the finish turning around action
- The A button is pressed
Whilst Mario in in the side jump action, the following checks are done on Mario:
- If the B button is pressed, Mario will dive
- If the Z button is pressed, Mario will ground pound
- If Mario is able to ledgegrab, he will
- The game performs vertical wind checks
The following behaviors can be observed when Mario side flips:
- Mario can double jump after landing from the flip
- The flip sound plays (this is the same sound as when Mario backflips)