|Action Flags||Air, Allow Vertical Wind Action, Control Jump Height|
A single jump is an action that can be entered in a variety of ways, including:
- By pressing the A button while in a variety of actions.
- While in quicksand, if Mario attempts to enter the double jump or twirling actions he will single jump instead. Doing this with twirling is very complicated and requires the use of the air throw landing action.
Generally, when transitioning into the jump action a few things happen to begin the action. This is shared with the hold jump action.
- Mario's current animation is stopped.
- Mario's vertical speed is set to 42 + a quarter of the current forward speed.
- If Mario is squished and/or has a quicksand depth more than 1, the vertical speed is halved.
- Mario's forward speed is multiplied by "0.8".
Then, some more general things occur.
- Mario's peak height is updated.
- Mario's voice clip played flag is reset.
- Some other flags are set/reset.
- The previous action is set to the current action (which is not yet the jump action).
- The current action is set to the jump action.
- The action argument is set.
- The action state is set to 0.
- The action timer is set to 0.
Certain things here are more explained on their individual pages. If something lacks detail, check the link for more information.
As with all airborne actions, a variety of "cancels" are checked prior to actually performing the jump action. These checks are as follows:
- Water - If Mario's height is lower than 100 units below the water height, the action is transitioned into the water plunge action.
- Squish - If Mario is supposed to be squished, his action is changed to the squished action.
- Vertical Wind- If Mario is above a vertical wind floor, his action is changed to the vertical wind action. (This is due to the jump action having the "Allow Vertical Wind Action" flag.)
At this point, two more things happen prior to the jump action:
- Mario's quicksand depth is set to 0.
- Mario plays a falling noise if he has fallen more than 1150 units from his peak.
With the jump action occurring, the following happens:
- If the B button is pressed, Mario will either enter the dive action if his speed is greater than 28 or the jump kick action otherwise. This stops the jump action.
- If the Z button is pressed, Mario will enter the ground pound action. This stops the jump action.
- Mario performs the other noises for the jump.
- Now, Mario performs the quarter-frame movement via a full common air step. The landing action is a jump land action and the check has both the "Check Ledge Grab" and "Check Hang" flags.