|Action Flags||Air, Attacking, Allow Vertical Wind Action|
Jump Kick is an action caused by Mario pressing B while jumping or by holding A and attempting to punch (i.e. holding A, being on the ground, moving with low enough speed or stick magnitude, and pressing B).
If Mario is in a single jump or double jump with a forward velocity less than 28 units/frame, then pressing B will cause Mario to perform a Jump Kick. In addition, if A is being held with a stick magnitude less than or equal to 48 or horizontal speed less than 29 while Mario is in certain ground actions, pressing B will also cause Mario to perform a Jump Kick. (See also Speedkick) When the Jump Kick is performed, Mario remains in the kicking state for 8 frames unless the action is ended early by Mario landing or hitting a wall. As with all airborne actions, a variety of "cancels" are checked prior to actually performing the Jump Kick action. These checks are as follows:
- Water - If Mario's height is lower than 100 units below the water height, the action is transitioned into the water plunge action.
- Squish - If Mario is supposed to be squished, his action is changed to the squished action.
- Vertical Wind- If Mario is above a vertical wind floor, his action is changed to the vertical wind action. (This is due to the jump action having the "Allow Vertical Wind Action" flag.)
At this point, two more things happen prior to the jump action:
- Mario's quicksand depth is set to 0.
- Mario plays a falling noise if he has fallen more than 1150 units from his peak.
If the action goes through, Mario plays the Jump Kick sound and the Air Kick animation begins. Mario then performs the quarter-frame movement with an air step check. The landing action is a freefall land.
When Mario is on the ground with 29 or more speed, pressing B with a max stick magnitude will cause him to perform a dive. But pressing B with A held and a stick magnitude less than or equal to 48 will cause him to perform a kick instead. This preserves most of Mario's speed (only losing about 1 unit), for that reason it's widely used in TASes and RTA speedruns.
|Before Trick||Frame 1||Frame 2||Frame 3||Frame 4||Frame 5|
|A||N/A||AB||Mag < 48||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|