|Official Name||broadJump (Broad Jump)|
|Action Flags||Air, Allow Vertical Wind Action, Control Jump Height|
The long jump action is a jump that is mainly based horizontally and can be used to cross large gaps. This is generally done by crouching and then pressing A. In certain situations, backward long jumps may be tied together to gain large amounts of speed due to their unbounded nature.
Certain things here are more explained on their individual pages. If something lacks detail, check the link for more information.
As with all airborne actions, a variety of "cancels" are checked prior to actually performing the long jump action. These checks are as follows:
- Water - If Mario's height is lower than 100 units below the water height, the action is transitioned into the water plunge action.
- Squish - If Mario is supposed to be squished, his action is changed to the squished action.
- Vertical Wind - If Mario is above a vertical wind floor, his action is changed to the vertical wind action. (This is due to the long jump action having the "Allow Vertical Wind Action" flag.)
At this point, two more things happen prior to the long jump action:
- Mario's quicksand depth is set to 0.
- Mario plays a falling noise if he has fallen more than 1150 units from his peak.
With the long jump action occurring, the following happens:
- If Mario's initial long jump was determined to be fast (more than 16 speed prior to the speed multiplier), the animation is set to the "Fast Long Jump" animation (0x13).
- Otherwise, it is set to the "Slow Long Jump Animation" (0x14).
- Mario performs the noises for the jump.
- If the floor under Mario is a vertical wind surface and Mario's "action state" is set to 0:
- Play the "Here we go!" voice clip.
- Set the "action state" to 1.
- Now, Mario performs the quarter-frame movement via a full common air step. The landing action is the long jump land action and the check has only the "Check Ledge Grab" flag.