Super Mario 64 DS
Super Mario 64 DS or SM64DS is a remake of Super Mario 64 on the DS console. It includes new stars, new areas, and new playable characters. The entire game was remade from scratch, and more content was added. For this reason, it is not considered to be a different version of Super Mario 64, but rather a full recreation.
The developers added new objects to SM64DS.
- Silver Stars; collecting 5 unlocks a Power Star in a crystal shell, and getting hurt by an enemy makes you lose one.
- Yellow Switches; stepping on one activates a star in a crystal shell, which despawns after a certain time.
- Crystal Shells; empty shells that stars can spawn in. When a star is inside one, it can be broken by hitting it.
- Mega Mushrooms; mushrooms that make the player turn huge and invincible.
- Glowing Rabbits
- Power Flowers; Power Flowers replace the caps in the original version. They bestow different abilities depending on which character wears it.
SM64DS has 4 playable characters: Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, and Wario. You start the game with Yoshi, and need to collect 8 stars to unlock Mario in "Goomboss Battle". After getting 15 stars, Big Boo's Haunt is unlocked, where the player can rescue Luigi. Then after beating the second Bowser, you can use Luigi to go through the mirror in the mirror room upstairs and unlock Wario.
- Yoshi can flutter jump and eat enemies, then turn them into eggs and throw them. By obtaining the Power Flower, he is able to spit fire.
- Mario jumps higher and runs faster than any other character. He is the only character who can open big Star Doors, and the only character that can walljump. The Power Flower can give him a Wing Cap, which works the same as in the N64 release, and the Balloon, allowing him to float by pressing A.
- Luigi swims faster than any other character, and he can twirl after backflipping. By obtaining the Power Flower, he becomes nearly invisible and is able to pass through certain walls (analogous to the Vanish Cap in the original version).
- Wario is the slowest character, but he is able to break Black Blocks. His Power Flower ability is analogous to the Metal Cap; he can walk underwater and does not get hurt by most ennemies.
New Stages and Areas
There is a new secret stage for Mario, Luigi and Wario: respectively Goomboss Battle, Big Boo Battle and Chief Chilly Challenge. Each stage contains a new star.
The room behind the 1 star door leading to PSS has been completely modified. It now contains the door to unlock each characters as well as a door that unlocks a star after catching 8 glowing rabbits. But also it leads to a new room where you can play minigames, and access a secret level called "Sunshine Isles". This level contains 5 silver stars and a nice Sunshine music plays. In this minigame room, you can acces another room that leads to Goomboss Battle after 8 stars.
In the courtyard, there is a secret stage called "The Battlefort", that leads to a level where you have to collect 5 silver stars.
In BBH, there is a new painting that leads to Big Boo Battle. This stage is a maze.
In the SL room, you can go through the mirror with Luigi to get a secret star and access Chief Chilly Challenge.
In SL, the igloo has been remade. Instead of a maze, the red coin star is located inside.
In Goomboss Battle, there is a Big Goomba at the end of the level that you must beat by throwing eggs or goombas at him. He will give you the Key to unlock Mario.
In Big Boo Battle, there is King Boo at the end of the level that you must beat. He can turn invisible. He will give you the key to unlock the Luigi Door.
In Chief Chilly Challenge, there is an Ice Bully at the end of the level that you must beat. The stage collapses after you hit him. He will give you the key to unlock the Wario Door.
There is a total of 30 new stars in SM64DS.
New types of Stars
- The switch stars: They are stars that appear during a time limit after pressing a switch. They can be compared to speedrun challenges.
- The silver stars are a new type of collectible. When you collect 5, a Power Star appears.
New Stars in the 15 levels
- In BoB, you have to collect 5 silver stars. the star on the floating Island has also been replaced by a second King Bob-omb fight.
- In WF, you have to press a switch that you can found in a new section of the level.
- In CCM, you have to break with Wario the frozen ice where Mama Penguin is, then press a switch star on the platform with the bob-omb buddy that activates the cannon, then collect the star.
- In JRB, you have to collect a power flower with luigi, then press a switch to get through a gate and reach the star.
- In BBH, you have to break a black block with Wario and press a switch.
- In LLL, you have to collect 5 silver stars.
- In SSL, you have to collect 5 silver stars in the pyramid.
- In HMC, you have to break a black block with Wario and press a switch. The star Watch for Rolling Rocks has been changed. Now you have to get a Mega Mushroom and break 5 rolling rocks.
- In DDD, you have to break a Black block with Wario and press a switch.
- In WDW, you have to collect 5 silver stars.
- In SL, you have to collect 5 silver stars. The red coin star has been moved inside the igloo, wich has been changed a lot too.
- In TTM, you have to collect 5 secrets by flying in coin rings, like Mario Wings to the Sky.
- In THI, you have to press a switch in the wiggler cave.
- In TTC, you have to press a switch.
- In RR, you have to press a switch in the Big House.
15 Other New Secret Stars
- In Goomboss Battle, there is a red coin star and a switch star.
- In Big Boo Battle, there is a red coin star and a star behind a painting, that requires luigi's power ability.
- In Goomboss Battle, there is a red coin star and a star in a Black Block.
- In WMotR, there is a star in a Black Block.
- In VCutM, now called The Secret under the Moat, there is a switch star.
- In CotMC, now called Behind the Waterfall, there is a star requiring Mario's Balloon ability.
- In BitDW, there is a switch star.
- In BitFS, there is a switch star.
- In BitS, there is a switch star.
- Both MiPS star has been replaced by: a secret star behind the Mirror, and a star behind a door in the Character room, that unlocks after catching 8 glowing rabbits.
- There is a painting in the character room leading to a sunshine-like stage where you have to collect 5 silver stars.
- The boo's in the Courtyard now drop red coins until you collect 8, and the star.
- In the courtyard, there is a secret stage called The Battlefort, that leads to a level where you have to collect 5 silver stars.