A Misalignment is a 1x1-unit area a floor hitbox extends to but wall hitboxes do not. On convex corners, they allow Mario to snap up to the floor from up to 78 units below it, as opposed to just 30 units when there is a wall hitbox present.
WR TAS Time Saves
Because they allow lower jumps to reach ledges and cancel air actions immediately, they are useful for saving time in TASes regardless of their demanded precision.
A Button Challenge
Because of the extra height they allow Mario to gain and the ability to get directly under the floor, they're very useful in the A button challenge. They also require almost no setup or allow less setup than otherwise, which makes them the preferred method over many other ABC strats. Uses include:
- A press saves:
- Watch for Rolling Rocks (HMC), where Mario ground-pounds into a misalignment to get to the platform with the star.
- Tick Tock Clock, where a misalignment on a cog combined with VSC is used to help save an A press in Stomp on the Thwomp and Timed Jumps on Moving Bars, as well as remove the need for a preset HOLP in The Pit and the Pendulums which saves an A press in a full game run.
- Bowser in the Dark World and Bowser in the Sky, where a misalignment is used to enter the pipe.
- Chip off Whomp's Block (WF), where a misalignment on King Whomp is used to get onto him with stored VS, enabling Mario to ground-pound him without help from the elevator. This also removes the need to clone the star as Mario can ground-pound King Whomp at the star spawn location.
- To the Top of the Fortress (WF), where a misalignment on a tower platform is used which removes the need for slow HOLP setting in BOB as well as both wing and metal cap.
- Bowser in the Dark World, where a misalignment is used to get to a higher platform without VSC. This also makes BitDW non-terminating, but that's not currently useful.
- "Interesting Misalignments #2" by UncommentatedPannen
- "SM64 - Watch for Rolling Rocks - 0.5x A Presses (Commentated)" by pannenkoek2012
- "TTC Cog Misalignment" by UncommentatedPannen
- "TTC Cog Misalignment on Random Setting" by Sidney600SM64
- "Cog Misalignment (A press save SOON!)" by DeRockProject
- "TTC Stomp on the Thwomp 3x A Presses (OUTDATED)" by UncommentatedPannen
- "TTC Stomp on the Thwomp 2x A Presses" by UncommentatedPannen
- "TTC Timed Jumps on Moving Bars 1x A Presses" by UncommentatedPannen
- "TTC The Pit and the Pendulums & Re-Enter 1x A Presses (without Preset HOLP)" by UncommentatedPannen
- "SM64 - Bowser in the Dark World (without Red Coins) - 0x A Presses" by pannenkoek2012
- "BitS Warp Pipe using 207 DR" by UncommentatedPannen
- "(TAS) Chip Off Whomp's Block 0xA - 44"90 (OUTDATED)" by fifdspence
- "(TAS) Chip Off Whomp's Block 0xA - 40"33" by galoomba
- "(TAS) To the Top of the Fortress + 100 Coins 0xA - 1:43"12 (OUTDATED)" by fifdspence
- "(TAS) SM64: To the Top of the Fortress + 100 coins 0xA - 1:41:78 by fifdspence and Iwer Sonsch" by Iwer Sonsch
- "BitDW 207 DR" by Tyler Kehne